As many of us know, Tenerife has become a top vacation destination in Europe, continuing to grow with more visitors each year. There are many fun and interesting facts about Tenerife and if you are planning to visit, here are 13 facts to get you started.
1. The flag of Tenerife is the same as that of Scotland.
2. 5 million tourists visit Tenerife every year.
3. Although it is part of Europe and uses the euro as its currency, it is not part of the EU.
4. Tourism drives Tenerife's local economy and represents 60% of their GDP.
5. One in six people in Tenerife is involved in tourism / hospitality
6. Tenerife has the third largest island volcano in the world – Mount Teide
7. 43% of the total population of the Canary Islands lives in Tenerife
8. About 5 times more people visit Tenerife each year than people live there.
9. The small bumper stickers with "SP" that can be found on many vehicles do not mean Spain, but instead "Servicio Publico".
10. Tenerife offers more five-star properties than Madrid or Barcelona.
11. The Tenerife Tenerife Water Park, Siam Park, offers the world's highest water slide.
12. Tenerife is the largest of the Canary Islands
13. Tenerife has 300 sunny days a year
There are many more fun facts about the place and Tenerife vacations are something that is highly recommended – it is an ideal holiday destination for both young couples (or singles) looking for busy nightlife and families in need many activities and attractions to take their kids to – and since this is a top vacation destination, flights are cheap!
Flights from the United Kingdom to Tenerife only last between 4 and 5 hours and your entire vacation can be planned with a shoe budget, making it the perfect place for a quick break.